<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Work trip to Belfast 

This past week I visited Ireland for the first time. ARA has an office in Belfast and my boss and I travelled over to meet, train and work with staff. We stayed at the Europa Hotel which has the unique status of being 'the most bombed hotel in Europe'. We didn't get to see much of the city as we were working flat tack all day. It takes around 1 and a 1/2 hours to get to Belfast from London by plane. We travelled over the night before so we could get two full working days in. Otherwise you have to catch a 7.50am flight which gets you into the office between 10.30 and 11am, tired from having to get to the airport at 6.50am.

Belfast had a nice feel to it. The waterfront has been nicely developed and the City Hall, which houses the local authority, is amazing with it's impressive size and classical style (dome, columns etc). I wish I had my camera and Lonely Planet with me. We were able to wander around the city centre at night as the hotel and office were centrally located and we enjoyed the food and Guinness the restaurants and pubs had to offer. Apparently Guinness is very good for you as it contains iron. The people are very friendly and good humoured. Maybe next time I visit I'll be able to explore more of the city.

There is not a lot of evidence, on the surface, of Belfast's dramatic past. Every now and then little things elude to it like barbed wire and the highly fortified police station. We did walk past the Northern Bank which was recently robbed of millions of pounds. The IRA are suspected of the crime. This trip has made me keen to go to Dublin as well. We might be able to fit a weekend visit before we go home.


Comments:
Hi Lovely to hear from you. Do go to Dublin it is gorgeous. I still feel quite nostalgic about it. It has quite a different feel from Belfast, not as scarey.
Great photos, could I use some of them for making sketches?
Wellingtons good, I'm still working at Weta Perraine's still at Hansard. We are having the most bazar long hot late summer, it's been gorgeous every day for the last, I've lost count, three weeks, it's kind of scarey. Anyway I'd better get back to work
bye love Heather
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?