<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

For my birthday day Rachel (Lou’s sister) gave me “Walking London: Thirty original walks in and around London” On Saturday we got round to trying it out. The Fleet Street and St. Paul’s walk appealed to me as I hadn’t seen inside St. Paul’s. It is a 3.2 km walk, one of the shortest (didn’t want to over do it on our first outing), starting and ending at St. Paul’s.

The book is very easy to follow giving detailed instructions of where to go and interesting historical insights along the way. The area is a business district so, apart from around St. Paul’s, the streets were all but deserted. It was a strange feeling after walking busy inner city streets since our arrival. The walk took us through many charming little alleyways and along Fleet Street.

My insistence at stopping at “Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Pub” was well rewarded. The pub was frequented by literary socialite Dr Johnson and Charles Dickens. I could imagine characters from Dickens tales sitting in my seat and drinking the same bitter.

Lunch was taken at the Blackfriar, the only art nouveau pub in London, surrounded by rose marble, images of friars (its name sakes) and imperatives such as “silence is golden”, “those that speak rarely listen” and “progress is good”. They do a fantastic Beef and Guinness pie.

I enjoyed looking through the window at the foyer of the old Daily Express building. I could definitely see the inspiration for the Daily Planet in Superman.

Although it was cold we thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of wandering, taking our time, reading from the book and generally acting like tourists. Until we reached St. Paul’s itself. It was very busy (as it most likely always is) so we decided to save it for another day.

Following the successful outing we vowed to do one walk a week. I doubt we will manage it but the offers we have had from friends to join us are encouraging.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?