<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 21, 2003

I’m getting into the Christmas mood now. We’ve just got back from having a lovely Christmas lunch at Pam and Brian’s. There was trout, roast lamb, roast veges on the menu for the mains and yummy fruit crème brulee, home made pavlova and Christmas pud for dessert. Plus lashings of bubbles. We had a great time chatting and reminiscing. Steve’s sister Valda and Brian’s business partner Johnny and his family were also there.

Last night we celebrated Laurie’s birthday (Rachel’s friend). We went to Stoke Newington for a turkish meal and jazz performance at the Vortex.

Both outings involved a lot of travelling. This seems to be a reality in London. It takes awhile to get around and you have to plan your route strategically. Luckily the tube and National rail trains are nice and cosy.

I had a couple of long lunches at work this week. Our team Christmas lunch was on Wednesday. I paid around £25 for some haddock and lemon pate and fatty pieces of lamb with roast spuds, carrots and brussel sprouts! Not good! It’s probably the most I’ll ever pay for a meal in my time in London. Surprisingly I enjoyed the brussel sprouts the most (o: They are different here to back home. Smaller and (if cooked enough) softer. Yum.

Joseph, Luke and I went to The Return of the King on Friday. We really enjoyed it but wish we were at the Embassy with its booming sound system and massive screen. I also wish I hadn’t read every article and review I could get my hands on before hand. I kind of spoiled a few of the surprises Peter Jackson included. Even so I still really enjoyed it. I made sure I didn’t drink a lot of liquid all day so I didn’t have to go to the loo! After the movie we had our first and probably last Walkabout experience. The Walkabout is a popular chain of Aussie/Kiwi bars in London. It plays really cheesy music and is a bit of a meat market. But it is right next to the cinema so we went in for one drink.

Joseph and I are working up to Christmas and are back to work on the 6th of Jan as we are off to Paris on the 3rd to the 5th. Yep that’s right. We are finally getting off our arses and getting back into the travelling. It’s only for a long weekend though. We got a good 3 nights for the price of 2 deal, from lastminute.com, at a Hilton in the business district (La Defense). I better brush up on my 4th form French. We won’t try to fit heaps of sightseeing in one weekend but instead will soak up the Parisian atmosphere and eat some French cuisine. We’ve given up on the skiing idea for now as it is very expensive compared to NZ. Maybe we’ll get a good deal towards the end of the season in March.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?